Friday, November 4, 2016

Pre-video assignment, Williams

Good example:

Part of the reason I liked this was the subject matter - I just thought it was sweet. There were also some great video elements, though. The reporter made sure to interview people from all angles of this story - prison employees, prisoners, children and their usual guardians. The close-ups of the peoples' reactions help the audience feel emotion, and the team had footage of preparation for the event that built anticipation. The hook, talking to the child who had never met her father, was especially poignant.

Bad example:
Even though I originally saved this video for my "good" example (because I love dogs), as I was thinking about it, it was easier to point out the video's flaws than it's strengths. The hook, of dogs playing in a yard, isn't unique enough to pull the viewer in - and the cameramen don't use b-roll when interviewers are talking. There are also instances in the video, like in the cat room, where the lighting makes it difficult to see the people who are talking. I also thought the music was weird, but since this video is a few years old, I'm willing to write that one off.

No comments:

Post a Comment