Thursday, September 27, 2018

Photo Assignment #4, Features - Roxanne Ready


A woman works on her laptop outside the Annapolis Courthouse.
I really enjoyed the image of this lady hunched over her work outside on a bench. It seemed the very essence of Lawyer's Mall. I tried a number of angles, but this one, snapped on a whim as I was walking away, turned out to be my favorite.
A family watches ducks near the Annapolis pier, the older boy enjoying an ice cream cone.
I wanted to capture both the family and the object of their interest. The ducks weren't very cooperative, but I'm happy with the angle they forced me into. The angle of the stroller's handle leads into the slantwise direction of the image, and the duck, people, and trolley make a visually satisfying triangle.
I also liked this photo of the same group. The other one has a fun angle and shows the ducks, but this one is super cute with the boy eating his ice cream and the little one staring at the camera. I'd like to know which photo you would choose, and why.
I really tried to stay away from photos without people in them, because that is my comfort zone and I need to practice taking pictures of strangers. That being said, I love this tableau.
This couple couldn't understand why I wanted pictures of their backs, but I thought this angle told a better story.
This is a residential street parallel to Main Street in Annapolis. Here's another photo without people, but I like it because it sets the mood for the location.

This couple was sitting at the end of a pier cuddling and laughing the whole time I was in the area. (It's a good thing, too, because it took me forever to work up the courage to walk all the way down it and ask them to take their photo.) I thought their placement at the edge of the pier was really fascinating, because it both gave them a sense of privacy and put them right out in the open.
Of the two pictures of this couple, I love this one because it is up close and really shows their relationship, and the casual placement of the purse and the coffees makes it clear they've been hanging out here a while. But it also doesn't tell the story of their position at the edge of the pier. Again, I'd love to know which you think is stronger.













No comments:

Post a Comment